[Tweeters] "rules" for yard birds?

ravenintherain ccorax at blarg.net
Mon Dec 10 14:18:10 PST 2007

Josh Hayes wrote:

> Tweets,

> We live near North Seattle community college, and last year a Great Blue

> Heron flapped in and perched in a tree -- in my neighbor's yard. I count it

> anyway. :-P

> -Josh Hayes, josh at blarg dot net

Herons still surprise me by the range of their perching behavior. It's
common to see them perched in fairly low deciduous trees or low among
the foliage in coniferous trees, but a few days ago at North Seattle
Community College (NSCC) I noticed one sitting on the topmost branch of
a fir tree, around 75 feet up looking for all the world as if it thought
it was a raptor or robin . It would have been visible from every yard
for a half-mile around.

BTW, for anyone who is not aware of it, NSCC is a fine place for
birding. There are groves and brushy areas at both the north and south
ends of the campus that have finches, chickadees, woodpeckers, etc.
year-round. The highlight of the campus is a pond which is the
headwater of one of the branches of Thornton Creek. It is on the east
edge of the grounds, which places it right next to the roar of I-5, but
the birds don't seem to mind the noise. At this time of year it is a
good place for wood ducks, gadwall, mallards, pied-billed grebe, coots,
hooded mergansers and shovelers. On the day I saw the above-mentioned
heron, there were half-a-dozen wood ducks and one male hooded merganser
among the occupants of the pond.

NSCC is at 9600 College Way North, right across the freeway from
Northgate Mall. Licton Springs Park, another sometimes profitable
birding spot, is three blocks west of the campus and for a little taste
of the exotic, check out Pilling's Duck Pond, about half-a-mile to the
southwest on 90th Street between Wallingford and Stone. An obituary of
Charles Pilling with a little info on his pond is available at the
following Seattle Times link:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=obit29m&date=20011029&query=pilling

Good birding,

Dale