[Tweeters] "rules" for yard birds?

Josh Hayes josh at blarg.net
Mon Dec 10 13:11:28 PST 2007

Tweets,

Someone's comment yesterday made me think about this. I've always given
myself credit for a yard bird if I saw it from my property; I mean, it's not
likely I'll get a bald eagle actually IN my yard, but I've seen plenty
winging over.

For semi-official yard bird lists, what's the rule? Birds actually IN the
yard (or perched in a tree in the yard, of course), or are flyovers also
counted?

We live near North Seattle community college, and last year a Great Blue
Heron flapped in and perched in a tree -- in my neighbor's yard. I count it
anyway. :-P

-Josh Hayes, josh at blarg dot net