[Tweeters] Birders needed for good spots on Everett CBC: CHANGE

Scott Atkinson scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:20:12 PST 2007

Tweeters: the Everett CBC has immediate need for birders in these two areas next Saturday, Dec 15:

Area 12--Everett waterfront. We have access into the Port of Everett but the longtime observer (a port employee) can no longer attend. The waterfront includes several accesses north of the Port entrance, including the boat launch and two roadside pulloffs overlooking the bay from Marine View Drive. Expect many typical waterfront species, less common birds we hope to get for the CBC include Bonaparte's and other less common gulls like Calif. or Herring (sometimes taking handouts right at the boat launch with other gulls), shorebirds (including possible turnstones, Spotted and Least Sands, and others), sometimes cormorants other than DC, certain divers, and ducks (including sometimes a single Eur. Wigeon or two at the logbooms in the bay near the boat launch, or at low tide on the mudflats). N. Everett uplands can be good--Am Legion Park has two Anna's Hummers and a nice flock of birds at the Arboretum lately, and several months ago Russ Caniff and others found a N. Scrub-Jay in the count circle just n.e. of the Everett Comm. College gym (just south of the main campus); we don't have a CBC record yet. Hillside brambles overlooking the waterfront are usually thick with Spotted Towhees, Fox Sparrows, RC Kinglet, etc. We have Dave Swain to cover the eastern half (RR tracks industrial brushland) of the area. Area 12 is at least in the 50s for species each year, often in 60s, year before last in the mid-70s.

Area 6--Tulalip Reservation--I have access to otherwise closed areas (just toured) on the reservation. Includes expanses of second to third-growth plantation, occasional mature (120-ft plus) conifer forest, regenerating timberland; extensive gravel road network. I will provide maps, access codes, and more to the right observer. An especially good access for a birder with good upland bird skills, best at finding less-common regulars like Hutton's Vireo, Townsend's Warbler, Hermit Thrush, Brown Creeper, Red Crossbill, RB Sapsucker and the best chance in the circle for the fading Ruffed Grouse; also, N. Pygmy Owl has shown up here on CBC day. Gray Jay, Townsend's Solitaire and BT Pigeon might be possible--who knows? The area has been barely covered in recent years. We have three observers covering area 6, but is huge and the two birders that have entered this closed area in the past have asked that someone either take it over outright or they can drive them in as desired.

Please let me know right away if any of these are of interest, the count is next Saturday. Call myself (425-210-2716 cell) or Mary Teesdale (360-734-2561) if one of these is of interest, or send e-mail (Mary meteesdale at hotmail.com, mine below).

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com