[Tweeters] Two cents' worth on Goshawks

Richard Carlson rccarl at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 14 16:38:57 PST 2007

Larry et al:

"Everyone else" who is "not able to id them
[Goshawks]like he can," includes some of the most
experienced and best respected birders in Tucson and
the nation. One of his Tucson "Goshawk" pictures
looks exactly like my neighborhood Agua Caliente
Cooper's hawk that I've been watching for 5 years. I
even know the exact phone pole it was pictured sitting
on -- same bird, same phone pole. Amazing how this
bird that I know personally was suddenly transformed.

RCC

--- Larry Schwitters <lpatters at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Gary,

> I think that the Goshawk guy's point is that you and

> everyone else have

> probably been seeing lots of Goshawks but are not

> able to id them like

> he can.

> Larry Schwitters

> Issaquah

> On Dec 14, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Gary Bletsch wrote:

> > Dear Tweeters,

> > For what it's worth, I have focussed much of my

> life's

> > energies on birding, going back to 1974. My

> efforts

> > and record-keeping increased dramatically since I

> > moved to Skagit County in 1990. Since then, I have

> > focussed on making as many observations of birds,

> and

> > as many species of birds, as I possibly can,

> > approaching a level of effort that has sometimes

> > bordered on lunacy. Most of this effort has been

> in

> > Skagit County.

> > I have entered about 135,000 of my bird

> observations

> > onto a database program. About 5000 each are

> American

> > Robin and Eurasian Starling observations, followed

> > closely by American Crow.

> > I have made only 16 observations of Northern

> Goshawks,

> > lifetime, despite countless hours in the field,

> > including eight years living in pretty good

> Goshawk

> > country (Concrete). I have never managed to find

> one

> > in the Puget Sound Lowlands.

> > This year, I have made over 20,000 bird

> observations

> > so far. Only once did I observe a Goshwk.

> > Perhaps I flatter myself, but I think that's

> pretty

> > good evidence as to how rare and how elusive these

> > birds really are.

> > Yours truly,

> > Gary Bletsch

> > --- Denny Granstrand <dgranstrand at charter.net>

> wrote:

> >> Hi Tweeters,

> >> I looked on the National Audubon Christmas Count

> >> website at the three

> >> Tucson area Christmas Counts. For the years that

> >> looked (three or

> >> four for each count) there were no goshawks

> >> reported.

> >> I, too, was put off by the attitude displayed on

> the

> >> blog. "I'm

> >> always right and you aren't going to teach me

> >> anything!" doesn't seem

> >> to be the normal approach.

> >> Denny Granstrand

> >> Yakima, WA

> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

> *

> >> * * *

> >> * Denny Granstrand *

> >> * Yakima, WA *

> >> * dgranstrand at charter.net *

> >> * Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *

> >> http://granstrand.net/gallery/

> [...]

Richard Carlson
Full-time Birder, Biker and Rotarian
Part-time Economist
Tucson, AZ, Lake Tahoe, CA, & Kirkland, WA
rccarl at pacbell.net
Tucson 520-760-4935
Tahoe 530-581-0624
Kirkland 425-828-3819