[Tweeters] Goshawk photos

Robert Russell birdman3 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 09:53:23 PST 2007

Hey Tweeters:

I poked around some more and found some of Mr. Briefer's goshawk
photos. They can be seen here:

http://www.goshawksoftucson.blogspot.com/

In fairness, the coop in the first picture has an atypically pale and
eyebrowed face. The sharpies in flight shown later on are more
difficult to understand... There's even a photo of what appears to my
eyes to be a nice adult coop in flight showing reddish underparts,
which has nonetheless been identified as a "mature female Northern
Goshawk". Mr. Briefer is certainly right about one thing: if his
identifications are correct, then just about everyone else has been
routinely misidentifying goshawks all these years, and indeed, entire
bodies of literature will need to be revised.

There is one bird pictured in his Tucson blog that I think might
conceivably be a gos (Feb 20 2006 at Agua Caliente), but the pic is
fuzzy and the angle odd. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

Best,

Bob Russell
Mukilteo, WA
bob at birdmigration.net

Interesting stuff indeed. Fellow goshawk fans should
definitely check out Mr. Briefer's web site, which
contends that Gos are common and widespread in places
like coastal Texas and San Diego, as well as in
downtown Tucson, and that the "true story of Goshawk
habitat, migration, and distribution" has been
universally misrepresented in modern bird books. I
was also curious about this radical reinterpretation
of Goshawk ecology, so I did a quick search and
learned that Mr. Briefer is "the only person in the
U.S., who has developed insights and strategies toward
finding, observing, and identifing Northern Goshawks
in places they are not supossed to be (in cities and
suburbs)" (see
http://rebeccakoconnor.com/operationdesertdove/?page_id=2).
Mr. Briefer has an idiosyncratic scientific
philosophy in that he totally rejects the value of
negative data, i.e., any information concerning
places or times when Goshawks have NOT been seen.
Just be sure not to question Mr. Briefer's sightings,
because he "will not answer your questions, queries,
and comments" -- and be aware that he will sue those
who would try to cast doubt on his reports! Hey,
maybe he's on to something. I must admit that I lived
and worked near both coastal Texas and San Diego and
never saw Goshawks in those places. However, when I
lived on Lake Roesiger (not far outside of Snohomish),
I was surprised to find that Goshawks were
semi-regular (mostly visible soaring high overhead),
and more recently I was downright shocked to see a Gos
come barreling over the neighborhood here in suburban
Mukilteo while bike-riding with my kids.

Best,

Bob Russell bob at birdmigration.net
Former raptor ecologist and lifetime Goshawk
aficionado
Mukilteo, WA