[Tweeters] 4-for-the-price-of-2 year-end special

Paul Hicks phicks at accessgrace.org
Tue Dec 18 14:58:31 PST 2007

A day off, a break in the weather, and my wife attending an office party.
Perfect combination for a birding outing, except for a head cold. Nothing
that layers of clothes, a dose of filtered sunshine, and the urge(ncy) to
add some year birds can't cure. First stop was Gog-Le-Hi-Te mitigated
wetland on Lincoln St near Port of Tacoma. My target was the reliable
THAYER'S GULL of which there was a nice assortment, along with a first-year
GLAUCOUS GULL. Due to construction I parked across the street near the ice
rink and accessed the wetland via the dike entrance near the bridge. Second
stop was Nisqually NWR in search of ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK previously reported
behind the twin barns. I saw at least 3 of them, along with some interesting
Red-tails. I still had time to hoof it out toward McAllister Crk in hopes of
a NORTHERN SHRIKE. Only after hanging around and scoping red-tails longer
than I should did one finally show up. It was atop a tree ~150 yards south
of the "t"-shaped pole beside the trail--just before the final slight curve
before reaching the creek. Perfect timing... I was back at the parking lot
when my wife called to meet me at Cabella's 10 minutes away. Nice end to a
productive, 4-for-the-price-of-2 day of birding.
Good birding!
--Paul Hicks, Tenino, s. Thurston Co
phicks AT accessgrace.org