[Tweeters] Another Slaty-backed Gull in Renton - 28 Dec 2007

Ryan Merrill rmerrill27 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 19:41:00 PST 2007

I took advantage of the break in the rain to look at the gulls down at the
Cedar River Mouth in Renton this afternoon. Around 3:15 a Slaty-backed Gull
flew in. It bathed and swam around for about 15 minutes providing great
views before the eagles came and scared most of the birds away. I stayed
until about 4:30 but didn't see anything else too odd, though there was a
nice variety of Herring and Thayer's Gulls.

I believe this Slaty-backed is a 4th-winter bird, as there is some black
remaining in the tail. Charlie Wright's Slaty-backed on the 23rd was a full
adult that lacked any black in the tail so there are at least two in the
area!

I'll have pictures online later this evening:
www.flickr.com/photos/rjm284

There was a male Eurasian Wigeon in Juanita Bay this morning.

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill
Kirkland, WA