[Tweeters] Two "Swallow" Questions

Marilyn Marynick mcmarynick at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 19:34:32 PST 2007

I'm a novice in birding. A botanist (who, after general zoology, elected Entomology rather than Ornithology) 40 years ago. Perhaps I can assist the group with plant questions....

Question first: Which small/medium swallow/swallow-like bird would be raising chicks in a mud nest under the eaves of the Johnson Ridge Visitor Center at Mount Saint Helens in mid summer 2001?

Question second: Which small/medium swallow/swallow like bird would be raising chicks in a mud nest under the eaves of the Nikko city public bath house in Tochigi Prefecture Japan in mid summer 2005?

I was raised in Los Angeles and have seen the cliff swallows of San Juan Capistrano on several occasions. I'm wondering why It's the wing and tail shape that catches my attention first and the colors that seem to fade in my memory. I did see mostly the undersides of the birds, perhaps that explains it.

Marilyn Marynick
Bellingham Washington