[Tweeters] Weird Duck

sgmlod at aol.com sgmlod at aol.com
Wed Feb 14 13:34:32 PST 2007

Greetings All

Somehow, my initial email was misunderstood.

Viewing just the poor quality pics of the S Platte bird (no insult to photographer, you get what the bird gives you), I suggested Shoveler x WC Pintail.

Any Gadwall like pattern was hard for me to discern from these photos.

In any case, I do not see how a large bill would favor Shoveler x Gadwall over Shoveler x WC Pintail

Now, the 2nd bird in question looks very much like a Gadwall x Shoveler; it seems quite similar to the S Platte bird, perhaps differing only  in bill color.

Given that, I'd suspect the S Platte bird is indeed a Gadwall x Shoveler.

My reference to WC Pintail x Gadwall related to a bird many years ago at the Everett Sewage Ponds at a time a few other escapes appeared.

And clearly, and WC Pintail x ??? or pure WC Pintail in WA is an escapee.
For that matter, a WC Pintail x almost anything in the USA is probably an escapee.

Cheers
Steven Mlodinow
Everett WA