[Tweeters] Surf Scoter Considered a "Game Bird"??

Kelly McAllister mcallisters4 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 24 19:31:01 PST 2007

All of the Anatidae are game birds in Washington. This, however, does not preclude listing under the federal Endangered Species Act. If the species was found to warrant listing, it could be listed. Not much is being listed of late. It's been my impression that a "Evolutionarily Significant Unit" like a subspecies of distinct population segment has to be very much on the brink of extinction before it's likely to be listed. The interpretation of what warrants listing, that is, the imminency of extinction, seems to have gotten tighter and tighter. The timeframe in which surf scoters may face certain extinction may not be imminent enough to warrent listing under today's standards. That's my impression of federal listing as practiced in this century.

Kelly McAllister
Olympia, Washington