[Tweeters] Upcoming visit to Seattle

Judith Walker birdwalker at mac.com
Fri Jan 5 18:09:22 PST 2007

My name is Judy Walker and I live in North Carolina. I have a
conference in Seattle in two weeks and plan to spend 5-6 days before
the conference birding. I have been lurking on the list for about a
month and reading the ABA Washington birding book. I have a few
questions that I am hoping someone can answer for me.

The first has to do with the ferries, particularly the one through
the San Juan islands. Does one have to go all the way to Victoria? Do
you have to take a car? How long does it take? Would it be better to
go out on a whaling trip?

The second has to do with the weather. Some of the birds I would like
to encounter appear to only be on the east side of the mountains. I
know you all have been having a rough winter (unlike ours which has
been incredibly warm). Will it be feasible for me to go over the
mountains with a rental? I have heard that you have to have chains.

I haven't been able to get a handle on distances. It appears things
are closer together than they are here in NC.  How long it would take
to say do the Skagit or Samish flats. Would it be worth, time wise,
going over to the coast?

I do have a list of target birds that is pretty ambitious but tops on
the list are Cackling Goose, Ancient Murrelet, Northern Shrike, Red-
breasted and Williamson's Sapsucker, Spotted Owl, Gyrfalcon (I know
but girl and dream can't she?) and Redpolls.

Any information and/or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Please respond to me directly, so we don't bog down the discussion list.

Judy Walker
Charlotte, NC