[Tweeters] Thick-billed Mure, and other, photos

Denny Granstrand dgranstrand at charter.net
Sun Jan 21 21:28:40 PST 2007

Hi Tweeters,

I was in the group at Point No Point yesterday morning, Jan. 20,
getting great views of the Thick-billed Murre. I was able to get
some photos of it, two of which are in the new photos folder on my website.

I started the weekend at Gene Coulon Park trying for the Slaty-backed
Gull. I got lots of practice scanning gulls but dipped on the Slaty-backed.

After leaving Point No Point I took the ferry from Port Townsend to
Whidbey Island. Guy McWethy and his friend John were also on the
ferry. We got great looks at Ancient Murrelets and Common Murres. I
saw one Long-tailed Duck. We stationed ourselves at the front of the
outside deck and were surprised by a rogue wave splashed by the
ferry. Guy and John were pretty well soaked. I saw it coming a
couple of seconds sooner than they did and managed to escape with
only one wet leg.

After scanning the ducks on Crockett Lake I went to Coupeville and
walked out on the public wharf. That area of Penn Cove was pretty
quite but I did get photos of a very obligizing Belted Kingfished
perched on a piling. Toward the west end of Penn Cove I stopped at a
public access parking area about .2 miles from Hwy 20. I found a
Yellow-billed Loon but missed the raft of Surf Scoters Guy
reported. I was impressed by the large numbers of Barrow's
Goldeneyes along the south side of the cove.

I spent the last hour or so yesterday and three hours this morning
searching for the Whooper Swan. I passed close by it several times,
based on reports from others, but never did find it. I did see an
impressive flight of Snow Geese at the west end of Rawling
Road. They first flew when I was, luckily, sitting in my wife's
minivan. They seemed to be dropping bombs, a good number of which
hit the van. They sounded like tennis balls. The splats were about
the size of grapefruit. Snow Goose watchers should be warned to take
umbrellas.

On the way back to Yakima we cruised through Cle Elum. I found a
small flock of Pine Grosbeaks in the top of a tall tree. As soon as
I got out of the van they flew down into a mountain ash tree and
filled up on berries while I took photos.

Photos of the kingfisher, a Great Blue Heron, Snow Geese and Pine
Grosbeaks are also in the new photos folder on my website.

Denny Granstrand

* Denny Granstrand *
* Yakima, WA *
* dgranstrand at charter.net *
* Denny's bird photos can be seen online at: *
http://granstrand.net/gallery/