[Tweeters] peregrine (?) near REI central Sunday

Josh Hayes josh at blarg.net
Mon Jan 22 14:28:09 PST 2007

> From: "Kelly McAllister" <mcallisters4 at comcast.net>

> Subject: Re: [Tweeters] peregrine (?) near REI central Sunday

> As soon as you mentioned the bird flying into a tree, I thought it sounded

> like an accipiter. Based on description of size, sounds like a Cooper's

> Hawk. The physical description, to me, fits Cooper's Hawk quite well.

> Kelly McAllister

> Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

> Olympia, Washington

> Reply to: mcallisters4 at comcast.net

[snips]

Upon reflection, and some searching of web images, I think Kelly's probably
right, although it was a VERY large Cooper's Hawk; I was more familiar with
CH's with this sort of chest marking:

http://www.christinevadai.com/COHA.jpg

But the one I saw was much more like this:

http://museum.utep.edu/chih/theland/images/cooperhawk.jpg

I really wanted to make it into a Merlin, since I still haven't seen one of
those since I moved to Washington in 1991, but clearly it wasn't. So, I
still don't know for sure, but I'm calling it a large female COHA. Thanks
for the advice, Kelly.

-Josh