[Tweeters] Carnation Dark Morph Hawk

Ruth and/or Patrick Sullivan godwit513 at msn.com
Mon Jan 29 07:19:58 PST 2007

Hello Dave, Kathy and Tweeters,

Please forgive us for this late posting and for forgetting to post our
sighting,but we also observed a dark-morph buteo while watching the Rusty
Blackbirds near Carnation. The bird was present yesterday across from the
farm on the east side of S.R.203 at 1:30pm with a typical adult Red-tailed
Hawk. The bird clearly showed an overall dark chocolate brown plumage from
the head to the underparts,but unlike the bird you have been posting this
bird showed light eyes. The bill was rather dark,but showed slighht
yellowish areas on the cere. As we and several birders stood watching the
bird the bird flew from a large tree out in the field and the lighting as
perfect,so we could see the paler underwings,but the bird clearly showed a
very pale hint of rust on he undertail with more distinct reddish or rust
areas on the uppertail,as the bird turned in flight. It was by these latter
features we eliminated a "Harlan's"Red-tailed Hawk,as well as a Rough-legged
Hawk.The overall bulk of the bird fit Red-tailed Red-tailed Hawk well too.
The bird was chased out of the area by the other Red-tailed Hawk and flew
northwest over Carnation Farm Rd. We labled the bird a dark-morph Red-tailed
Hawk and most likely a young adult since the iris was pale or light in
color. Anyhow,that is our thoughts of what may be the same bird all of you
have been seeing near Carnation,but perhaps a different bird too.

Sincerely,

Ruth and Patrick Sullivan