[Tweeters] timing of red-tailed hawk nesting?

Robin W Baird RWBaird at cascadiaresearch.org
Thu Jul 5 20:26:51 PDT 2007

Hello all,

I'm wondering at what stage red-tailed hawks should be in the nesting cycle in the southern part of Puget Sound (near Olympia)? We have a nest in a tree near our house that a pair have been actively using. We've not seen any sign of young, although don't have a great view of the nest. Last night there were an exceptional number of large fireworks nearby (was there some special event yesterday? : ) and there have been no sign of the hawks today.

Also, in terms of the hummingbird thread, most of our adult male Rufous Hummingbirds disappeared about two weeks ago, but we still have at least three others around daily, and one adult male two days ago, with some mating activity (the last mating "flight" observed/heard was about five days ago) apparently involving sub-adult males. Is this typical?

Thanks,

Robin

off South Bay Road
Olympia, WA