[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 7/5/07

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Jul 5 16:58:46 PDT 2007

Tweets,

Today 8 of us enjoyed a long walk at Nisqually under sunny skies.   Thanks
God for a light breeze off the sound or it would have been really  hot!

We had several highlights as we walked the outer dike including our first
shorebirds of the fall migration. As we neared McAllister Creek we spotted a
small flock of shorebirds circling the pond that included a couple KILLDEER, 4
GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and about 25 WESTERN SANDPIPERS.  Surprisingly the
WESTERN SANDPIPERS were the first noted for the year.  We also had an  OSPREY circle
over the area and saw CASPIAN TERNS  as far up McAllister  Creek as the
freeway.

Another highlight was 3 AMERICAN BITTERN over the marsh behind the visitor
center.  One flew left to right and a bit later two flew right to  left.  A
great way to start the day.  There were two RED-BREASTER  SAPSUCKERS work on a
snag off to the right center of the viewing platform.   They were in the same
area last week.  The only ducks we saw were WOODIES,  HOODIES, and MALLARDS.
Everything else was gone or in hiding.  We did  see a couple of PIED-BILLED
GREBE.

Mammals were everywhere!  We started with  a BLACK-TAILED  DEER near the
entrance to the maintenance area on the way into the  refuge.  We then had a RIVER
OTTER cross the trail to McAllister Creek at  the end of the ponds across
from the parking lot.  Next up was a RACCOON  out on the mud flats along the
sound.  Next we had a LONG-TAILED WEASEL  criss cross the trail in front of us
several times as we walked along the outer  dike.  Lastly we saw a large group of
HARBOR SEALS out on a sand bar in the  sound.

All told we had 50 species for the day and the WESTERN SANDPIPERS gave us
134 for the year.

Until next week...

Phil  Kelley
Lacey, WA
scrubjay323 at aol.com
360-459-1499

" We were few  and they were many. Now we are many and they are  few"
Confucius