[Tweeters] Updated versions of WA County Year list & WA County Checklist available

mattxyz at earthlink.net mattxyz at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 27 19:18:14 PDT 2007

Hi Tweeters & InlandNW Birders -

Here are updates on the 2 county listing projects I've got going this
year: The County Year-list Project and the County Checklist.

COUNTY YEAR LIST PROJECT:
As I've written before, a bunch of us have been keeping track of the
collective county year lists for almost all counties across WA. Every
month, I ask the individual county compilers to report in with an
update, and I keep track of the combined list.

The idea behind this project is to step away from individual year
lists and see what it would look like to track 'combined' year lists.
These county year lists are collaborative efforts, with each tally
representing the collective sightings for a county rather than any
one individual's list.

The newest update (through the end of June) is now available online
as both an excel file and as 2 pdf files. To download the progress,
go to the website of the Washington Birder newsletter:
http://www.wabirder.com/bartel.html
[By the way, this website, relatively new, has lots of other great
info if you poke around a bit....]

We have designated compilers for every county. If you'd like to
report any unusual sightings, look up the county compiler at either
the WOS site http://www.wos.org/CountyList.htm , or the county
pages on the new Washington Birder website http://www.wabirder.com

COUNTY CHECKLIST:
I've just completed the latest update to the excel version of the WA
County Checklist , based on the Summer 2007 issue of WA Birder.

This newest version of the excel-based county-by-county checklist of
Washington birds is available online. The excel file can be found
at: <http://www.wos.org/CountyList.htm>www.wos.org/CountyList.htm
(thanks WOS & Michael Hobbs for hosting).

This version is based on the latest issue of Washington Birder [vol.
15 #2]. Since I did not manage to get an update prepared for the
Spring issue, this revision includes both a Spokane County update and
a King County update It also includes other county firsts, and one
new bird for the state list -- last winter's Whooper Swan.

If you are looking for a quick reference for how common a given
species is in any county, this excel file can be handy. Further, if
you are interested in keeping track of your county lists, this file
works as a checklist for each county and the state as a whole. There
are now 3 different sort orders available - the 'old order' [the way
most books are still organized], 'newer order' [the short-lived order
that hasn't shown up in the field guides yet], and the 'newest order'
[AOU47-compliant]. As needed, the list can be sorted back & forth
between any of these. I posted the revised list before the latest AOU
supplement came out, so for now Belted Kingfisher will have to remain
a Ceryle rather than a Megaceryle and the Turkey Vulture won't yet be
moved to its new[old] location in the list....

Thanks again to the Knittle's for making this data available in
Washington Birder, and thanks to those who have sent questions,
comments or suggestions. Let me know if you have any problems working
with the sheet or ideas for changes.

Finally, for anyone already using the old file who wants instructions
on how to transfer your information from that one to this new one,
read on (for everyone else, I'd recommend skipping the dry
instructions that follow).

Short version: Use the the same tax order to sort both your old file
and the new one. Add blank lines the where new species will be
inserted. Copy color-coded cells portion of old file, and paste
"values" only into the new file [using paste-special].

Longer Step-by-step Explanation:

1. Download newest file from webpage [save under a different name
than your own file]

2. Open both the new file and your old one.

3. Make sure both old and new files are sorted according to the same
taxonomic order . To do this, select the entire file and click
'sort' from the 'Data' menu. Check the box for Header Row, then
select the desired sort order in the top box, with the default
setting of Ascending selected.

4. On your[old] file, insert blank rows [using the 'rows' option on
the Insert menu] where new species will be added. For example, to
make space for Whooper Swan, insert a row beneath Tundra Swan and
above Wood Duck.

Those changes will leave your data ready for transfer.

6. On your [old] file, highlight all of the cells that have the color
coding in them and press control-C to copy this section [or use the
'copy' option from the Edit menu]. In the present file (once you've
added the blank rows for the new state species) this would be all the
cells from F4 to AR500.

7. Click on the F4 box of the new file, and then choose 'paste
special' from the edit menu. In the dialogue box that opens, select
'values' under the paste section [instead of 'all']. It is important
to paste only the values -- otherwise you will bring over all the old
color codes too!

All your data should be pasted into the new file.

8. Do some double checking to ensure the formulas are adding up to
the same numbers they did in the old file. Also check to be sure you
haven't brought over the old color codes [check a county first like
the Clallam County Rose-breasted Grosbeak].

That should do it. Let me know if you have any questions or
suggestions for either of these projects.

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA