[Tweeters] Eastern Kingbird still in Stillwater

mattxyz at earthlink.net mattxyz at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 8 20:16:12 PDT 2007

Hi Tweets -
This afternoon, I took advantage of the nice weather and headed back
over to Stillwater and King county's own little Patagonia Picnic

I didn't see the Redstart or Chat today, but most of my time was
focused elsewhere. Eventually, I tracked down the EASTERN KINGBIRD
reported by Marv Breece yesterday. Today, it was feeding further
south than yesterday, in a field south of the 3rd bridge south of the
parking lot. So, if every bird is in place one could now see -
Bridge 1 - Yellow-breasted Chat
Bridge 2 - American Redstart
Bridge 3 - Eastern Kingbird

Quite a stretch of trail there!

After enjoy the other regular birds around the area, I headed up east
of Stillwater. Moss Lake, a place that has been birdy this year, is
closed off with signs posted saying there is a mother bear w/ 2 cubs
in the area. As an alternate, I headed up Stoessel Creek Rd [from
the store @ Stillwater, turn east on Kelly Rd. After maybe 4-5 miles,
Kelly road turns left and Stoessel Creek Road continues straight.
After another mile or so, the pavement ends. Another mile beyond
this, I pulled off at a DNR gate and hiked in on an old logging road].

A pleasant couple hours of hiking produced a nice selection of low
mountain birds including MacGillivray's, Yellow & Wilson's Warblers,
Olive-sided, Pacific-slope & Willow Flycatches, Mourning Dove &
Band-tailed Pigeons, Western Tanagers & BH Grosbeaks. A flock of RED
CROSSBILLS stopped by for a bit. And as a bird highlight, I tooted in
a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL -- it came pretty close in, then a pair of
robins, some tanagers and a Steller's Jay all took exception to its
presence and chased it off.

On the way out, some crashing in the brush turned into a young [I'm
guessing] BLACK BEAR. I didn't stick around to see if momma was
nearby.... So much for avoiding bears by avoiding Moss Lake....

Good bearing,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA