[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: PACIFIC GOLDEN-PLOVER, BONAPARTE'S GULL +

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 18:31:46 PDT 2007

Today (6/14/07), Debby de Carlo and I birded the River
"S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14
in SW Washington;
http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ). It was nice
and cool with a gentle breeze and a general cloud
cover until afternoon. All in all, it was a very
pleasant day.

Highlights of the day:

1) Still present is the earlier reported PACIFIC
GOLDEN-PLOVER. This afternoon it was on the NE muddy
edge of Schwartz Lake. This bird was barely over 100
feet from the road on the E side if Schwartz Lake.
Schwartz Lake is immediately E of Rest lake.

2) From the Blind on the E side of Rest Lake, we saw
a lone CANVASBACK drake, a drake EURASIAN WIGEON, and
5 BONAPARTE'S GULLS. We did not see the Redheads or
the Eared Grebes that I had been seeing on previous
visits.

3) We saw at least 10 American Bittern flying around.
Some were flying quite close. Sweet!

4) NESTS: We saw a pair of Cedar Waxwings actively
building a nest on the trail to the Blind. We also
saw a Western Wood Pewee on a nest in the Oregon Ash
woodland on the eastern part of the walk.

5) There was an unusual (to our eyes anyway)
Red-winged Blackbird on Long Lake. It clearly looked
like an adult, yet when it flew you could see its full
size shoulder patches, but they were totally Orange!

Bill Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
Willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Complete list of 66 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
American Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret