FW: [Tweeters] Golden Pheasant, yard bird

Eric Kowalczyk aceros at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 24 17:13:22 PDT 2007

I might be wrong, but this could possibly be a  hen Lady Amherst pheasant
(Chrysolophus amherstiae). This species is in the same genus as the
Goldens.  Hen goldens and amherst's are difficult to tell apart. Looking at
the tail, there appears to be some markings (i.e. black and white chevron
striping). But then again, I might be wrong!  These two species can
hybridize if the occasion arises.

FYI:  is a hen Lady Amherst pheasant an oxymoron? In the late 1880's (give
or take 10 years or so), an expedition to China, financed by Lord Amherst,
discovered the species to "science" . They named the species after the
Lord's wife, the Lady Amherst herself!

Easiest way to tell would be find your neighbors  place!

Eric Kowalczyk
Seattle

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/junewild/?action=view&current=Pheasan
t_Foxhall.jpg