[Tweeters] Re: Sapsucker wars

Craig DEMPSEY craig_dempsey at msn.com
Sun Mar 4 16:47:16 PST 2007

I had a male sapsucker working the trees at the end of my drive most of the winter and for many hours a day. One day I heard a bit of a commotion and turned to see a mass of feathers falling to the ground. I walked over to the base of a tree and found two males locked in combat, tightly gripping each other with their feet and pecking viciously at each other. I picked one up in each hand, pulled them apart and threw them into the air telling them to behave themselves.  I found myself somewhat amazed that these two would be so intent on attacking each other that they would allow something much bigger and potentially dangerous to pick them up. But then I guess I see that type of behavior all the time.
Craig Dempsey
Port Angeles