[Tweeters] Discovery Park Clark's Grebes

Ryan Merrill rmerrill27 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 23:55:53 PDT 2007

This afternoon the flock of Western Grebes were quite close to the beach
just north of the lighthouse at Discovery Park.  Mixed in with the Westerns
were two Clark's Grebes.

One was actively preening for about twenty minutes so some field marks which
are not usually visible were seen.  The bill was a brighter yellow than any
of the other Westerns.  The flanks were about as light as the lightest
Westerns in the flock.  The white patch was present in front of the eye, as
well as the face being white below and behind the eye.  Several times it
lifted its wings and I was able to see the white on the primaries and
secondaries was much more extensive than other Westerns in the flock.  The
underwing was also much lighter than any of the other Westerns who chose to
lift their wings while I was watching.

The second bird's bill was even brighter.  There was also white in front of
and below the eye, but I never saw it with it's wings extended.

Thanks for posting about the Say's Phoebe.  It was staying in the immediate
area of the fence around the lighthouse.

Ryan Merrill
Kirkland, WA