[Tweeters] Band-tailed pigeons - planting Blue Elderberry for them

Stewart Wechsler ecostewart at quidnunc.net
Wed Mar 28 23:13:36 PDT 2007

Blue Elderberry - Sambucus cerulea a.k.a. S. nigra ssp. cerulea typically
grows in sandier soils to the south of Seattle and east of the Cascades.
Distribution is relatively spotty to the north of Seattle, but it should
grow well on Lummi Is. in a sunny, better drained site.  It may be with
global warming that it will increasingly appear further north.  I've
recently learned that they may be heavilly preyed upon by non-native slugs.
This may in part account for its reputation for being difficult to grow from
seed and may in part account for my seeing very few small plants in the
relatively few areas west of the cascades where Blue Elderberry occurs.
East of the cascades there are not so many slugs.

Stewart