[Tweeters] brant in Padilla Bay

Alexander, Glen (ECY) alex at padillabay.gov
Sat Nov 3 16:13:35 PDT 2007

I counted about 100 brant in the south end of Padilla Bay yesterday.
It was exciting. There were huge rafts of tens of thousands of ducks
(pin tail, mallards, loons, grebes) I was scanning for those tell-
tail tall necks of the brant. Then when I saw them it was like
picking an old friend out of the crowd at the train station. Who can
explain what makes the brant so... special, attractive, I don't know,
cute! Are they the Charlie Brown of waterfowl?

Glen "Alex" Alexander
Education Coordinator
Padilla Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve
360-428-1070
www.padillabay.gov
alex at padillabay.gov