[Tweeters] Ancient Murrelets off Discovery Park, Seattle

Matt Dufort zeledonia at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 12:05:33 PST 2007

Hi Tweets,

I spent about an hour yesterday (Saturday) afternoon watching the sound from
West Point at Discovery Park. Bird numbers there seem to be increasing;
there were many more scoters, cormorants, and grebes than I’ve seen in
recent visits. The highlight was a group of 4 ANCIENT MURRELETS that flew
in from the north, landed in the water about ½ mile out, and quickly
disappeared in the choppy water. Also present were about 20 Black Scoters
off the South Beach, a few lingering Heermann’s Gulls, one Brandt’s
Cormorant in addition to the hordes of Double-crests, one fly-by Common
Murre, and a few Rhinoceros Auklets. The large Western Grebe flock was
still present off North Beach, but I wasn’t able to find the Clark’s that’s
been seen there a few times recently.

Good birding,

Matt Dufort

Seattle, WA