[Tweeters] Douglas County Gray Jay sighting

Dennis Paulson dennispaulson at comcast.net
Sun Nov 4 12:17:28 PST 2007

Mike Denny reports:

"In the Ponderosa Pines top of Central Ferry Canyon
Gray Jays - saw 1 and heard several
Clark's Nutcracker - heard several"

Mike, although Clark's Nutcrackers are common in ponderosa pineland,
wouldn't you consider Gray Jays in a place like that an outrageous
sighting of that montane and wet-forest species? I don't envision
Gray Jays being anywhere in ponderosa pines in Washington, certainly
not in isolated stands of them, as you find in Central Ferry Canyon,
and I wonder if it indicates something unusual going on, when
combined with some other low-altitude records of mountain species
this fall?

Dennis
-----
Dennis Paulson