[Tweeters] Othello area birds today

Hill hill at smwireless.net
Sun Nov 4 18:07:18 PST 2007

I headed out this morning thinking there must be a Rusty Blackbird hiding among the flocks at one of the feedlots. No luck finding one but I never did make it to the Para Ponds area feedlot. I started south of the Adams County Fairgrounds where Para Livestock has a feedlot along Reynolds Road. The few blackbirds visible were distant and I couldn't pick out any but Brewer's Blackbird among abundant starlings. On to SR 24 (where a few Cackling Geese were mixed in with Canadas )and west on Yeisley for a stop at Linda Lake, which had some pleasant surprises. A Golden Eagle, Common Loon and 5 Western Grebes were visible at the west WDFW access, with Bewick's Wrens among the flocks that included Song, White-crowned and Lincoln's Sparrows and a Spotted Towhee. A single Townsend's Solitaire was perched in an apple orchard off Bench Road and a Prairie Falcon along Kuhn Road, but no Chukars seen or heard along the north slope of Saddle Mountain which is probably the best place in Adams County to look. After cleaning up many parties worth of beer consumption at various stops along the way I finally made it down to the Camano Island Cattle Company feedlot along SR 26. Viewing is quite difficult with curious cattle constantly blocking view and nervous shifting flocks of blackbirds. Of the 1000+ that I had at least a brief view, most were Brewer's and Red-winged Blackbirds with at least a few cowbirds and Yellow-headed Blackbirds mixed in. Included in the flocks were at least 10 male Tricolored Blackbirds. In town a Pine Siskin is still coming to the feeder and at least 20 Yellow-rumped Warblers were using a single pine tree next door, responding to a mild day with significant insect life buzzing around the neighborhood.

Randy Hill
Othello