[Tweeters] Re: Douglas County Gray Jay sighting

mike denny m.denny at charter.net
Sun Nov 4 21:34:47 PST 2007

Good Evening Dennis,
You are correct in stating that I would not expect Gray Jays in a dry p-pine dominated site. We have however on several occasions located small numbers of Gray jays in very dry p-pine /Doug.fir stands in the central Blue Mountains, south of Ukiah, Oregon. All three of us were very surprised to have Gray Jays calling and moving through the pines to the east at the head of Central Ferry Canyon. Once again a species pushes our knowledge out a bit further. There is a record of a Gray Jay in the eastern city limits of Walla Walla, way out of habitat.
Later Mike

Mike & MerryLynn Denny
1354 S. E. Central Ave.
College Place, WA 99324
509.529.0080 (h)

IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN BIRDING, YOU HAVEN'T LIVED!