[Tweeters] Montlake Fill - Great Horned Owl and Lincoln's Sparrow

Louise Rutter louise.rutter at eelpi.gotdns.org
Thu Nov 8 19:34:39 PST 2007

I went to the Fill/UBNA this morning to look for the cattle egret, a
fruitless search I enjoyed with several other birders. I had to leave at
11.30, dragged away by eastside errands, including a dental appointment. As
I walked the road back out from the E5 car park, a Lincoln's sparrow popped
up briefly among the roadside brambles.

Returning home, of course, I found the emails telling that the contrary
egret had showed up half an hour after I left, and posed in full view on the
western soccer field for a considerable time. So I was back at the Fill at
3.30pm, only to find that the latest sighting anyone could confirm was
between 2.30 and 3pm on the soccer field, and it had vanished back into its
alternative haunts, wherever they may be. Another birder was kind enough to
point out to us the great horned owl reported yesterday, which was sitting
in the middle of the grove of trees between the Shoveler 'pond' and the
horticulture centre.

Otherwise, apart from waterfowl, the Fill was fairly quiet today - some nice
looks at Northern Harrier and Cooper's Hawks at various times through the
day, but the passerines were definitely on the skulky side.

I left the Fill at dusk (4.45pm), with a full set of clean and shiny teeth
but egret-less. I have an appointment booked with that soccer field for 1pm
tomorrow, which nothing shall break! Well, maybe a severe hailstorm, or a
volcanic eruption....

Louise Rutter

Kirkland