[Tweeters] Columbia Gorge Birding

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Sat Nov 10 22:57:34 PST 2007

On Saturday, Dec. 10, five people joined me on a Vancouver
Audubon field trip up the Columbia River Gorge under clear skies and warm
temperatures. We met at 8 am in Washougal, Clark County, and only birded
in two spots in that county, the Washougal Sewage Lagoons and Steigerwald
Lake NWR. The diversity of species was low at both places although there
were hundreds of CACKLING GEESE at Steigerwald and from milepost 19, on
Highway 14, we could see the MUTE SWAN in the main pond. This bird had
been absent for about a month and not reported from any other local area.
We stopped at Ashes lake and climbed the railroad berm to check
the bay in the Columbia River below the burnt out plywood mill, which is
usually a good spot for ducks but the numbers were low there and the best
bird was a COMMON LOON.
At Rock Creek Pond in Stevenson there were two EURASIAN WIGEON
and two GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE in the hordes of Canada Geese and
ducks.
On our return route we checked the Kidney Lake Rd., in North
Bonneville, north of Highway 14, where we found eight CALIFORNIA QUAIL
and a calling VIRGINIA RAIL.

Wilson Cady
Washougal, WA