[Tweeters] border wall

Valerie Elliott velliott at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 13:57:40 PST 2007

I apologize if this is redundant since I haven't read anyone's perspective
on this except Dennis Paulson's, and that I skimmed through. However, at
this very moment I am in Harlingen, Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley. I just
finished attending the Rio Grande Valley Bird Fest here. One of my reasons
for coming was to bird the area before the border wall was built. Everyone
involved with birding/environment down here is greatly concerned about the
construction of these walls. In case you didn't know the wall will consist
of only segments in different areas. It won't be continuous. One of the
wall segments will go right through Sabal Palms Audubon Preserve, one of the
last areas with Sabal palm habitat and a good birding spot (short-tailed
hawk in 2004 and gray-crowned yelowthroat for several years). Everyone
seems to agree that it won't accomplish much. Estimates show that it may
slow the illegal immigrants down about 3 to 5 minutes. It semms that we
could spend this money more constuctively and without impacting the
environment and critters. Many of the vendors had "No Border Wall" stickers
and petitions to sign. Let's hope a better alternative is found.

Valerie Elliott
Olympia, WA