[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: Am Wht PELICAN; ROUGH-LEGGED & HARLAN'S HAWKS

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 18:55:42 PST 2007

Jane Smith, my mother (Olive) and I birded today (Sunday Nov. 11) on
the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW
Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ). Afterward, we
went down to Vancouver Lake and Vancouver Lake Park, before heading
home.

Highlights:

AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN: Only one seen flying over Rest Lake, seen from
the road just N of The Blind parking lot. This is the first one I have
seen in a long time. It is the reason we later went to Vancouver Lake,
but we found none there. I am not aware that anyone saw more than this
lone AW Pelican.

ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK: Today around 2pm, we saw only one individual on the
ground on the E side grasslands. I do know that at least two have been
seen within the last two weeks. There were plenty of Harriers (1 male
and lots of Females and juveniles). In the same grasslands there were
a lot of adult and juvenile Red-Tailed Hawks. As usual, when I get to
the E side grasslands this time of year there are always a lot of very
light Red-tailed Hawks, and I am always in my early excitement, trying
to force one to be a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, but, today I only saw the one.
I talked to Al Larrabee this evening, and he and Roger Windemuth (both
Volunteers there) were there today and also saw only the lone
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK.

RED-SHOULDERED HAWK: Al also told me that he and Roger also saw a
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK in a snag on the E side of the dike on the last leg
of the loop road. I did not see or hear one today.

HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK: We saw one on the E side near the dike and
also over the road on the E side of Rest Lake. It almost flew right
over our car at a height of about 50 feet. Very Nice Indeed! This
evening, Al Larrabee told me he saw TWO of them today.

Bill Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
Willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Complete list of 39 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron