[Tweeters] Okanogan bird report

khanh tran khanhbatran at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 13 00:37:03 PST 2007

Hi Tweeters!

Inspired by Micheal Schroeder's recent sighting of a winter plumaged, WHITE TAILED PTARMIGAN, on Chopaka Mtn, I decided to give it a try. On Saturday, there was one foot of snow on the 7600 ft summit, but I managed to clamber through the 9 miles of snow covered trails. On Sunday, I tried for the elusive, all-white alpine bird on the top of Tiffany Mountain as well. This 3.7 mile trip to the 8300 ft summit provided spectacular views but my 'chicken magic' failed again. However, I did find some decent birds and made it a worthwhile trip under better than expected weather.

Pine grosbeaks, white winged crossbills, and common redpolls were seen in small numbers and different locations; earlier than what I normally observe, and it is not officially winter.

HAVILLAH: (early 11/10 Saturday morning)

2 GREAT GRAY OWLS
1 Northern Pygmy Owl
2 Rough Legged Hawks
1 Northern Shrike

CHOPAKA MTN/LOOMIS: (6 inches-12 inches of snow above 6000 ft)

2 SPRUCE GROUSE
1 Dusky Grouse
20 Red Crossbills
3 WHITE WINGED CROSSBILLS (one male/two immatures)
1 NORTHERN GOSHAWK
30 Mountain Chickadee
2 Gray Patridges (Toats Coulee Rd)
10-12 COMMON REDPOLLS (in Loomis)
2 American tree Sparrows (in Loomis)

CONCONULLY:

1 Long eared owl (Happy Hill Rd)
1 Great horned owl
1 Ruffed grouse
1 Northern Saw Whet Owl

TIFFANY MTN: (10-12 inches of snow on top of 8300 ft)

5 Pine Grosbeaks (seen also by M. Schroeder on 11/5)
3 American Three-toe Woodpeckers
2 BOREAL CHICKADEE
10 SNOW BUNTINGS (seen also by M. Schroeder on 11/5)
3 COMMON REDPOLLS (near entrance of FR37)
1 Golden Eagle

HART'S PASS/SLATE PEAK: (6-8 inches of snow beyond Hart's Pass, drove 1 mile pass Ranger Station)

20-25 Pine Grosbeaks (Seen by M. Flint and a smaller flock earlier in the week by M. Fleming)
3 BOREAL CHICKADEE
3 Cassin's Finches
12 Red Crossbills
4 or more WHITE WINGED CROSSBILLS