[Tweeters] Satsop Swans (Grays Harbor Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 18:00:37 PST 2007

On my return trip from the Grays Harbor NWR in Hoquiam this afternoon, I spotted 4 swans in the field south of Highway 12 near the town of Satsop. Unfortunately, there was no adequate spot to get a positive ID so I'll just leave it at swan species for now. I'm sure more are on the way. Also, the Keys Road and west-end of Wenzel Slough Road area has a large number of gulls present. I quickly scanned through the flock today and found Mew, Ring-billed, Glaucous-winged, and a few hybrids.

On the Hoquiam STP pond today, a Red-necked Grebe was present which I've never seen on the pond before. Canvasback were in good numbers with the other ducks. Hooded Mergansers were numerous as well.

Good birding!

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179@ yahoo dot com