[Tweeters] Re: Hoquiam Sparrow

Charlie Wright c.wright7 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 16 22:12:30 PST 2007

Re: www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/ocean_trip

Thanks to Joe for posting his really good photos. In my opinion, this
sparrow looks to be a Golden-crowned Sparrow displaying very limited
albinism, rather than a hybrid. The white on the throat is really striking,
but a little more extensive than it would be on White-throated.
Very telling is the little patch of white on the nape, which is pretty
clearly from albinism as neither White-throated nor Golden-crowned would not
have white like that in any plumage.
If this bird was a hybrid with White-throated, I'd expect to see some other
signs of this species such as a uniform gray bill, different back plumage,
size, etc. I'm not seeing anything like that here.

Neat bird!

Charlie Wright
Bonney Lake, Washington