[Tweeters] Hoquiam Sparrow

Carol Riddell cariddell at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 16 17:28:39 PST 2007

Hi Tweets,

I was so appreciative of Joe Higbee getting such great photos of the
apparent hybrid White-throated X Golden-crowned Sparrow near the
harbor side of the Hoquiam STP. By the time I went back to the car
for my camera, the flock had moved off. Joe's photos show dominant
White-throated features in this bird. Beadle and Rising's "Sparrows
of the United States and Canada, The Photographic Guide," (Princeton
University Press 2002) says that there is only one record of this
hybrid. For those of you into hybrids, this bird is worth seeing.
If you missed Joe's photos, take a look at them:
www.pbase.com/jvhigbee/ocean_trip

I saw the sparrow on Monday and Joe saw it on Tuesday. Anyone
heading for the coast this weekend should look for it. The flock of
Golden-crowneds in which I saw it was on the harbor side of the road
towards the east end of the pond.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds