[Tweeters] RE: Great Blue Heron Black Flanks

Susan Anderegg susananderegg at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 17 12:19:08 PST 2007

Welcome, Mark, to Washington State

the great blue herons found here are indeed a sub-species: Ardea herodias fanini. They do have alot of black on their flanks, are somewhat smaller than other GBH, and are found only in the PNW and do not migrate, although they disperse from their heronries in the fall.

here's a link to the wikipedia page about GBH, which lists all the sub-species.

there are other pages you might be interested in looking at: www.heronsforever.org about the Black River heronry and http://heronhelpers.org/ about the Kiwanis Ravine heronry