[Tweeters] Jays, Crows and Peanuts

William Andersen ander at u.washington.edu
Sat Nov 17 14:44:50 PST 2007

Tweeters:

I've thrown a few unshelled peanuts onto a picnic table on my deck early each morning and enjoy watching the jays scoop them up (they don't usually last more than a minute). But now neighborhood crows have decided to join in the fun and the jays keep their distance when the bigger birds are present. Anyone know a way to present peanuts to jays in a way that doesn't invite crows?

This may not be of general ornithological interest, so off-line responses would be OK. Thanks.

WRA

ander at u.washington.edu