[Tweeters] Black Scoter remains at Vantage

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Sun Nov 18 13:54:22 PST 2007

The report of a male Black Scoter at Wanapum Dam near Vantage (found
yesterday by Michael Hobbs) was just too tempting. This bird would have made
#266 for my Kittitas County life list and despite the very wet nature of the
day I had to give it a shot.
First I checked the boat launch of Wanapum Dam where large rafts of ducks
were gathered between the shore and the offshore exposed islands. No Black
scoter, though did manage to relocate the two female/immature SURF SCOTERS
found by Michael in addition to large flocks of Lesser Scaup, several
American White Pelicans and Herring Gulls on the islands. I didn't relocate
the group of three long-tailed ducks seen here yesterday. I checked all of
the scaup flocks (totaling more than 1000 birds total) for possible Tufted
Duck, but no luck.

I found the male BLACK SCOTER just north of the boom line on the north side
of the dam. It was with large groups of Ring-necked neck and Scaup. This
bird was diving frequently, making it appear as a Houdini bird; it would
dive and then resurface some 50-60 yards away.
The other notable birds I found were 1 immature LONG-TAILED DUCK just north
of the scoter. Also in Getty's cove among the large Wigeon group I found a
male EURASIAN WIGEON.

A very wet morning, but very rewarding for a couple of hours.

Scott Downes
downess at charter.net
Yakima WA