[Tweeters] Jays, Crows, Peanuts, Sodium Chloride, and Roasting of Legumes

pjgumbo at aol.com pjgumbo at aol.com
Mon Nov 19 15:58:48 PST 2007

I have enjoyed the posts on this snowballing topic and can second the comments on efficacy of the WBU wire-torus peanut cage.? For some reason, the crows regard it quizzically but rarely if ever attempt to mount it.? Jays can empty it in a matter of hours on a good day.

I received strongly anti-salt advice a month or so back when I sought input on economical bulk peanut sources.? Interesting to read posts mulling over this aspect.? My instinct is that unsalted is probably wisest.

However, the earlier respondents drew my attention to another important aspect of this that I think was shared off-line but ought to be a part of this thread.? I gather that peanuts as well as some other leguminous products that could conceivably be considered bird feedstock have some component in the raw state that is at least a potential modest toxicant for the feathered ones.? However the science shakes out on salt, roasting is supposedly mandatory.? I don't have this multiply sourced, but it seems pretty credible.

paul johanson
pjgumbo at aol.com
North Beach (N. Ballard), Seattle