[Tweeters] Kent Ponds Census, Red-shouldered Hawk, American Tree Sparrow

Kathy Andrich chukarbird at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 14:29:48 PST 2007

Hi Tweeters,

Yesterday the Kent Ponds Census team relocated both
the Red-shouldered Hawk and the American Tree Sparrow.

The Red-shouldered Hawk was near the King County
Animal Shelter in a large bare cottonwood tree and
seemed to always be attended by crows. He/she is
truly a stunning bird if he would only be more
cooperative in showing himself to folks.

The American Tree Sparrow was between the north tower
and the center tower. There is a trail off the main
trail that is fenced off to protect the resting
waterfowl but the bird could easily be seen from the
fence area looking towards the ponds, there is a wood
chip pile and some logs along the path. It was in
this general area. The sparrow flock is very active
and it could likely be found wherever the sparrows
are. Gorgeous bird and my first west side tree
sparrow.

We also saw 9 Western Meadowlarks in the same general
area as the American Tree Sparrow. A dark morph
Harlan's Hawk was in the field area but first was
chased off by crows then landed in the territory of
the southeastern Red-tailed Hawks who then promptly
sent it packing.

Oh and for Rachel, an immature Peregrine was spotted
on the powerline trail on a tower. I may have
misidentified last weeks as an adult. We were in the
midst of the Short-eared Owl/Harrier action last week
when the peregrine was noted.

Kathy
Roosting in S King County