[Tweeters] Jays, Crows, Peanuts, Sodium Chloride, and Roasting of Legumes

Gene Bullock bullockg at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 19 17:46:31 PST 2007

Sorry to cast a pall on the peanut thread, but peanut mold contains
aflatoxins, which are potent carcinogens. It's impossible to totally
eliminate peanut mold and I don't believe roasting eliminates the
aflatoxins. I was on the public relations staff at MIT when this was first
discovered in 1965. The Dept. of Nutrition and Food Science sent a team to
Thailand to study the unusual incidence there of a rare form of pancreatic
cancer. The climate is very damp and the diet depends heavily on peanuts.
I love peanuts and still eat them, but I try not to overdo it -- and that
includes peanut butter. Wheat mold may harbor a similar fungus. However,
with transfats, food dyes and other chemical additives in our foods and
cosmetics, this may be the least of our worries.
Gene Bullock
Poulsbo