[Tweeters] Birds in the News 106 plus two wonderful bird images (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 20:15:00 PST 2007

hello everyone,

this week's issue of Birds in the News is available
for you to read and enjoy. It features an image of the
gorgeous black-necked weaver, Ploceus nigricollis, and
has a list of all the CBC schedules to be found on the
internet so far. It also has a link to David Sibley's
experiment where he uses fluorescent highlighter pen
markings on window pane to prevent birds from flying
into the windows -- an experiment that I hope to
propose to the NYC Performing Arts Library, which I
couldn't help but notice also has a bird-kill problem.
I also want to point out the story that details the
trial of the the Galveston, Tx birder who shot and
killed a feral cat that was hunting endangered piping

I also want to draw your attention to the truly lovely
image, donated by a reader of mine, of a Swainson's
hawk in flight;

and another wonderful image, donated by another reader
of mine, of an English (house) sparrow, which also has
a very interesting discussion in the comments section;

Central Park