[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 11/21/07

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Wed Nov 21 20:38:26 PST 2007

Tweets,

Today 9 of us enjoyed a great walk in cold, clear conditions. It was cold
enough early that the best birds were seen near the end of the walk.

We started out with the usual PEREGRINE FALCON in the fir behind the visitor
center and a PIED-BILLED GREBE on the pond behind the visitor center.

On the way out to McAllister Creek we saw the basic plumage EARED GREBE on
the pond to the left on farther out we had a NORTHERN SHRIKE of to the right as
well as a MERLIN and a COOPER'S HAWK.
We also heard a couple of VIRGINIA RAIL in the marsh near McAllister Creek.

Out behind the ring dike behind the photo blind we spotted a GREAT HORNED
OWL and saw most of our passerines on the way back from the ring dike. We saw
our largest flock of PINE SISKINS of the year between the ring dike and the
Nisqually River overlook as well as most of today's BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE,
RUBY-CROWNED and GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, DOWNEY WOODPECKERS, and BUSHTITS.

As we finished the walk we saw our first mixed flock of gulls in the ponds
near the parking lot. they were mostly RING-BILLED GULLS with at least 1 MEW
GULL and a couple of CALIFORNIA GULLS. As we approached the ponds a couple
large flocks of CACKLING GEESE were put up be a juvenile BALD EAGLE. Among the
CACKLERS were about 20 SNOW GEESE, the most I've seen on the refuge at one
time. Of course they flew out beyond the twin barns out of sight.

All told we had 53 species for the day with nothing new for the year. I
can't wait for the ducks to really arrive at the refuge. There is now lots of
water for them but they aren't here yet.

The only mammal we saw was a HARBOR SEAL in the Nisqually River.

Until next Thursday when Eric Slagle will lead the walk as I will be out of
town.....

Phil Kelley
Lacey, WA
scrubjay323 at aol.com
360-459-1499

" We were few and they were many. Now we are many and they are few"
Confucius