[Tweeters] Birding King County

Michael Fleming michaellf at myway.com
Fri Nov 23 17:55:18 PST 2007

I spent my day birding at a few locations in western King County to try and beef up my Washington year list. I started out at Alki Beach looking through the SURFBIRDS in hopes of locating a Rock Sandpiper, with no luck, but it was nice to see these birds just a few feet away. Next at the Kent Ponds (GRNRA) I dipped on the American Tree Sparrow but had excellent looks at the RED-SHOULDERED HAWK (as Marv Breece mentioned in an earlier post) a very nice bird. I finished off the day birding the Boeing Ponds and at the Mouth of the Cedar River. I had 60 species for the day, with some of the highlights being:

RED-SHOULDERED HAWK - Kent Ponds

BRANT - Alki Beach

CACKLING GOOSE - Kent Ponds

HARLEQUIN DUCK - Alki Beach

COOPER'S HAWK - Boeing Ponds

SURFBIRD / SANDERLING / BLACK TURNSTONE - Alki Beach

BARROW'S GOLDENEYE - Alki Beach

COMMON GOLDENEYE - Alki Beach and Mouth of Cedar River

AMERICAN PIPIT - Kent Ponds

THAYER'S GULL - Mouth of Cedar River

HERRING GULL - Mouth of Cedar River

Cheers and Good Birding;