[Tweeters] Sharp shinned Hawk in backyard! (Caryn S./Wedgwood)

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sat Nov 24 07:26:00 PST 2007

Great siting yesterday...my husband spotted a sharp shinned hawk sitting in our eastern dogwood yesterday afternoon (day after Thanksgiving) about 2 pm. I think he was looking for a meal of our many ground feeders - juncos, towhees, etc. He hopped down to the ground and was even trying to get on to the tray feeder. Back up into the tree and sat a bit then flew off. Glad that he didn't find anything to eat here (wish he could have found a rat though!). A neighbor said he saw it atop our very tall fir in the front yard and have seen it on our street sitting on a wire. (NE 91st St.)

This morning we have the ruby crowned kinglet (regularly now) on our suet along with "herds" of bushtits and bewick's wrens and flickers. The pileated has not been back for a while. I was wondering if the flickers only hunker down in trees when the weather is really bad and in the closet roost they find at dusk? We thought it was curious that flickers would roost where they had previously nested.

Very thankful for the abundance of birds in Wedgwood...