[Tweeters] Elma to Westport today (Grays Harbor Co.)

Tim O'Brien kertim7179 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 16:40:02 PST 2007

Today, I escaped the early morning fog and headed for the coast. Although before I left, I did add a new yard bird as a flock of Trumpeter Swans flew somewhere overhead in the fog.

At the Bishop Athletic Complex just outside of Aberdeen, I found 20 Semipalmated Plovers, Dunlin, and a few smaller peeps that didn't really show themselves well enough for an ID. Also, about 100 Canada Geese were present on the grassy fields.

At Westport, a easterly wind was blowing and overall the best spot was the marina. Several Western Grebes and Common Loons were in the marina allowing awesome views. Also, out on the fishing pier, I found a large flock of rock birds on top of the pilings because all the rocks in the marina were covered with water due to the very high tide today. This group consisted of 110 Surfbirds and 2 Black Turnstones. This is the highest number of Surfbirds I have ever seen.

On the way home, I drove the Brady Loop and found 38 Trumpeter Swans on the eastern side of the loop.

Good birding!

Tim O'Brien
Elma, WA
mailto: kertim7179 at yahoo dot com