[Tweeters] Re: Kauai in April

Penny Koyama plkoyama at verizon.net
Sun Nov 25 14:00:10 PST 2007

One fun thing that we did last time we were on Kauai was to stop by the
Kilauea Lighthouse on the way back to Princeville from dinner. When it's
dark, you can stand at the end of the road overlooking the cliffs, and
between waves crashes you can hear the Wedge-tailed Shearwaters moaning, a
truly eerie sound. We loved it! By the way, the biologist there told us
that the shearwaters come in and choose their nest sites in the evening,
after the gates are closed (5 p.m. or so.) Some are quite close to the
path, and the year we were there, one nest was under a bush right by the
door to the visitor center. Not knowing that these are not good spots, they
are "stuck" with them after laying their eggs. The biologists there had a
project to measure these birds--adults and young--for stress hormones, and
had determined that those who nested close to the public areas had much
higher hormone levels. They were trying to confirm their suspicions that
the high hormone levels had long term negative effects on the birds. Just
as in human real estate, it's location, location.
Penny Koyama, Bothell
plkoyama at verizon.net