[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: BARRED OWL, WHITE-TAILED KITE

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 25 18:26:29 PST 2007

Carol Ledford and I birded today (Sunday) on the River "S" Unit at
Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington;
http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

Highlights:

BARRED OWL: From the entrance canyon road (about 100 yards up hill
from the R/R tracks) We first saw it around 8:30 am. It was still
snoozing on the same Doug Fir limb around 3pm when we left the Refuge.
I had just begun birding near the R/R tracks when I heard some Scrub
Jays putting up a squawk. The closer I listened I noticed more Jays,
both Scrub and Steller's. I followed the ruckus directly to the BARRED
OWL which I guess was around 100 feet above the road on the N side. It
was in a Doug Fir that was itself rooted about 30 feet above the road.
The BARRED OWL paid little attention to the Jays, and before long they
all gave up and left. The Owl never left the limb it was located on
(second to lowest), and lots of folks got to see and photograph it.
This is the first BARRED OWL I have seen at Ridgefield.

WHITE-TAILED KITE: I learned a lesson today. Do not dismiss gulls at
a distance. Get binoculars on them and make sure they are not
WHITE-TAILED KITES. From the parking area at The Blind, Roger
Windemuth, Al Larrabee, Carol Ledford and I were talking and looking at
Hawks, when Roger said "look, there's a WHITE-TAILED KITE."
I had seen it flying off in the distance and said to myself "Gull; too
far off to ID". This individual was an Adult WHITE-TAILED KITE.
Eventually it perched atop a small tree NE of the parking area about
150 yards away. Excellent scope views, AND a good Lesson to boot!

Bill Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
Willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Complete list of 53 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Cackling Goose
Canada Goose
Tundra Swan
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
RING-NECKED DUCK (1-Rest Lake)
Bufflehead
HOODED MERGANSER (4- water canal past Kiwa)
WHITE-TAILED KITE
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
DARK PHASE RED-TAILED HAWK (2- near The Blind)
HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK (1-over Schwartz Lk+in SE Oak)
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK (1-near Blind, 2 SE Grassland)
American Kestrel
American Coot
SANDHILL CRANE
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (~ 30 E side of Rest Lake)
Wilson's Snipe (2-Long Lake)
Gull (Species)
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl
BARRED OWL
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Northern Flicker
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Bewick's Wren
Winter Wren
Marsh Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Varied Thrush
European Starling
Spotted Towhee
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
WESTERN MEADOWLARK (1- SE corner of Rest Lk)