[Tweeters] Okanogan Highlands

Gary Fredricks gfredricks at wa-net.com
Mon Nov 26 19:24:45 PST 2007

Tweeter's, I spent the holiday weekend birding areas east and west of
Omak and Tonasket in north central Washington. On Thanksgiving day I
was up as far as I could get on Okanogan National Forest Road 3820 not
far from Lone Frank Pass at about the 6000' level. There was about 6"
of snow up here and the road was easily passable with a four-wheel drive
truck (at least until you get to the huge tree across the road!).
Highlights here included several THREE-TOED WOODPECKERS, several BOREAL
CHICKADEES with feeding flocks of Mountain Chickadees, two flocks of
PINE GROSBEAKS and a flock of WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS. I spent Friday
and Saturday in the Havillah - Molsen - Chesaw area northeast of
Tonasket. Highlights in this area included flocks of COMMON REDPOLLS
totaling about 50 birds in the water birch and alders along Mary Ann Cr.
Road just north of the Chesaw Road on both days. A flock of 12
WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS were feeding on spruce cones along Chesaw Road a
mile west of Chesaw on Saturday and another flock of 20 was also feeding
on spruce cones a couple miles up Okanogan National Forest Road 3524-100
(Haley Canyon about four miles NE of Havillah). On Saturday there was
also a flock of about 40 GRAY-CROWNED ROSY FINCHES was feeding in the
sparsely covered hillsides along Grange Road (aka County Road 4865)
which cuts southeast off Hungry Hollow Road between Havillah and
Chesaw. NORTHERN SHRIKES and ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS were seen in several
locations in this general area although I missed the Great Gray Owls.
Looks like it's going to be an interesting winter in this area. Cutting
through the Waterville Plateau area on my way up and back failed to turn
up any Snow Buntings although there were a couple COMMON REDPOLLS in the
water birch along Bridgeport Hill Road at the Wells Wildlife Area.

Gary Fredricks
Washougal, WA
gfredricks at wa-net.com