[Tweeters] Pacific Loon Lake Washington

Richard Carlson rccarl at pacbell.net
Thu Nov 29 17:09:51 PST 2007

I spotted a Loon on Lake Washington yesterday, Wed.
Mark Hoffman got a very distant picture, but I didn't
have my scope along so couldn't really ID the bird.
Looked like a pacific Loon, but I wasn't sure.

Today, I took my scope and found the bird again from
the Kirkland Marina. Luckily, it was in front of a
large group of Western type grebes. It clearly was
not one of those -- larger, thicker neck & bill, etc.
On the other hand, the neck was too long and the bill
too thin for a Common Loon. The in-between bird could
only be a Pacific loon. It nests on freshwater but
mostly winters on salt. It was definitely not a Common
Loon, of which I've seen hundreds growing up in
Minnesota.

Dick

Richard Carlson
Full-time Birder, Biker and Rotarian
Part-time Economist
Tucson, AZ, Lake Tahoe, CA, & Kirkland, WA
rccarl at pacbell.net
Tucson 520-760-4935
Tahoe 530-581-0624
Kirkland 425-828-3819