[Tweeters] Pipits at Discovery Park today

Mark Vernon ma_vern at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 15:40:24 PDT 2007

Some interesting birds today at Discovery Park:

  American Pipit, 3 at West Point, bobbing about on the lawn next to lighthouse and then on the shore.

  Merlin, 1 at the north entrance with some angry Crows.

  Wilson's Warbler, 1 in a mixed flock of Black-capped Chickadees, Bushtits, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, a Brown Creeper and Yellow-rumped Warblers. I was surprised to see this bird, it's bright yellow really stood out.

  Osprey, 1 flying over the old Fort Lawton buildings, where I was eating lunch.

  I was reflecting about my great grandfather, Edward O. Singleton, who was stationed here in the year 1900, while in the 1st US Cavalry. He went from there to fight in the Filippino Insurrection until the year 1903. It is interesting to think of him being here in other than park like circumstances.

  Mark Vernon
  Renton, WA
  mailto ma_vern at yahoo.com